Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Back to School

"Good times in Muncie again, its Muncie!" If you haven't yet seen the Hastily Made Cleveland Tourism Videos, I highly suggest you watch them, unless of course you are from Cleveland. Nevertheless, they are entertaining even through the 10th viewing.

Anywho, it's that time of the year again for most anyone receiving an education. Yes, it is time again to hit the books and attend your classes for the first time. Time, again, for writing multiple pages of an essay on a subject that will most definitely not help or affect you later in life, such as "Global Warming," and if you know me, it is one of my favorite theories to debate about it's own legitimacy. I already wrote a 2 page essay on "What do you think the biggest problem in the world is, what causes the problem, and how will you fix it when you get out of college?" The professor gave us this assignment on syllabus day, with 10 minutes left of class. I thought it would be a take home assignment, however, we had to finish it before we left. When someone asked about the limited remaining time, she replied without hesitation, "I have no problem with staying after." She also said that the reason for the essay, which is completely unrelated to the class, is to allow her to "read" our personalities, and to see if she is wasting her breath on us, and whether she thinks we will be much of a contribution to society. I'm not sure if that is legal or not, but I'll just do my best to succeed academically, and whether she thinks I will succeed or not is her own business.

My other classes are just how I expected them to be for the most part, lectures, notes and homework. This semester in general is going to be relatively boring as far as academics are concerned. I'm taking two Geography classes, a Phys Ed Aerobic Swimming class, which it turns out we don't technically swim, a Religious Studies class, a History course, from the 1850's to present day, and last but not least, my "favorite" subject, Mathematics. None deal directly with meteorology, but the two geography classes do count towards my major. I also picked up my books yesterday, and found them to be almost half the price of last years books, so I was rather pleased.

Brennen, my roommate, and myself are running for the Social Chair position on Elliott Hall's Executive board. Apparently everyone believes we are a social pair, so we'll see how that goes. I do have some interesting ideas, and hopefully with a little bit of funding through the hall, we can pull them off and get everybody involved in having a good time this year. Some of these ideas include some kind of a "camp-out" before it gets too chilly, and we could make smores or something out back, and also some kind of a tailgating extravaganza at the football games, where we get some funds for hot dogs or people chip in and we grill out before the games. Just some ideas, I'll keep the others a secret. Of course I have been playing volleyball almost every day since I have been up here, minus the first opening week, because its hard to play with the limited amount of people on just the Opening Committee. OC went smoothly for the most part, and I had my doubts on how many people would be showing up for the programs that we were going to put on, such as Frisbee discus, Water Balloon shot put, and the first ever Frank-a-thon. But quite a reasonable amount of people showed up, and for the most part I do believe they all enjoyed themselves.

As a whole, Ball State is going good so far. I am meeting new people again every day, which is always interesting and fun, the food is still pretty good, and still pretty horrible, depending on the location and the day, but for the most part it is delicious. I have gotten hired on at the Tally Dining location, right across the road from me. I'm not being too optimistic about it, because the whole hiring process has been kind of fishy to say the least. The hired on a first come first serve basis, rather than experience, which i found to be ineffective for the most part. I thought I originally got hired on at the brand new Taco Bell, and found out yesterday at my orientation that I was stocking shelves and assisting in the dining room instead, which is a crock, because it isn't what I was told I was doing when I got hired. So I might be hunting another job down soon is shelf re-stocking isn't all it is cracked up to be. I will also be auditioning for a position with Cardinal Vision 57, the local BSU operated TV station, as a meteorologist. That will probably eat my remaining free time, and for some reason if that doesn't work out, I plan to audition instead for the Charlie Cardinal position whenever the invites for that come out, just because I think that would be a really exciting and interesting job. Unfortunately, the latter two auditions/jobs are unpaid, but the TV job would be good experience for a future career in broadcast meteorology.

The last thing that I really found interesting enough to go into detail about was my recent 20th birthday. So after 20 years here on Planet Earth, I have come to a few conclusions. Although you might be older, you can still act 5 years under your age to have a good time, and there's nothing wrong with that, 10 years however, is pushing it. I have been a Cincinnati sports fan my whole life, and it has been a tough twenty years. I'm hoping the Reds and the Bengals can pull together though and win a few championships in the coming twenty seasons. With $500 worth of college books, I could have rather purchased about 8 new Xbox games, 30 DVDs, 41 new T-shirts, and roughly 561 White Castle Hamburgers, all of which would have been more useful or edible than the textbooks themselves. I have come to the conclusion that girls are difficult not only to understand, but difficult to get along with, satisfy, and counsel. Lastly, I have come to the conclusion in my first twenty years that life is much like Mother Nature. Life is both exciting and relaxing, but most of all, it is nearly unpredicatable. You really just have to go with the flow, and do your part, no matter how small you feel it is, to make the world a better place.

"At least we're not Detroit!................... We're not Detroit!"

No comments:

Post a Comment